There are different types of tests that are conducted in the United States Of America and while some are restricted to school levels and are mainly conducted by the school boards and the associated teachers. There are some standardised tests that are conducted in the United States not just for the students with an American nationality but also for the international students who are thinking about studying in the United States.
Different primary types of tests:
The number of conducted assessments and tests conducted in the United States can be primarily divided into four different categories after which they can be further branched into more categories and types.
- Summative Tests:
Summative tests are the standardized assessment that is done in order to evaluate a student’s knowledge and to test the knowledge that they have gathered from the school. These types of tests are mainly standardized and primarily deal with the annual summative tests that are conducted in the schools or the international competitive exams like that of ACT (American College Test) or SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test). These tests mainly deal with the assessment of the knowledge that the students have gathered over a wider period of time.
- Formative Tests:
While the Summative tests mainly deal with the assessment of the gathered knowledge over a long period of time, the formative tests are the ones that deals with the knowledge gathered in shorter time spans and mainly include class discussions and quizzes.
- Admission Tests:
The admission tests are the ones that are used in the admission procedure at the different private or even elementary schools as well as the colleges and the universities. Passing these tests is very important in order to get admitted to any American institutions.
Some of the most important and popular ones are:
For secondary schools:
- Independent School entrance examination
- High school placement test
- Secondary School Admission Test
- Cooperative admissions examination program
For undergraduate level:
- Scholastic Aptitude Test
- American College Testing Program
- Classic Learning Test
For Graduate level:
- Allied Health Professions Admission Test
- Graduate Management Admission Test
- Law School Admission Test
- Medical College Admission Test
- Veterinary College Admission Test
- California Basic Educational Skills Test
Language Proficiency Tests:
Apart from the educational and learning assessment, yet another important type of tests that are conducted in the United States are the Language Proficiency tests to test the efficiency of the applying candidate in the English language.
Some of the names of the said tests are:
- Test of English for International Communication
- Test of English as a Foreign Language
- International English Language Testing System
Apart from all the above mentioned tests, there are a number of various other tests which plays a very important role in the admission process to a different institution.
Some of the other tests are:
- Standford-Binet Intelligence Scales
- Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children
- National Assessment of Educational Progress
- California Achievement Test
- Iowa Test of Basic Skills
- Stanford Achievement Test
- Miller Analogies Test